Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Very Beanie Nativity


Beanie Nativity Originally uploaded by rachelandrew.
I recently searched through hundreds of nativity scenes on flickr Creative Commons and surprised myself by liking this one the best. "Why?" I asked myself. Why do I prefer this one to those that have real people in them or real animals? Why did this one most touch my heart?

Hmmm. I'm not sure we humans always understand why something touches our hearts, but as a writer, I need to try to explain my choice.

COMMUNING WITH HER CREATOR

The artist who put together this seemingly simple nativity scene was concerned with the glory and awe of the occasion. That's what I see in Mary's upturned face and prayerful posture. What God said would happen, did happen, and she is communing with her Creator, who is also the Father of her miracle baby.

POIGNANT AND PENSIVE

In one word, I would say her face and posture define the word, "poignant." My word for Joseph would be "pensive." I imagine he is feeling the responsibility of raising God's child, the promised Deliverer.

What do you think?

Beany Nativity photo by rachelandrew

No comments: