Tuesday, May 16, 2006

LOOKING FOR PEACE

Job States the Problem

I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil. Job 3:26

Jesus Gives the Answer

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

Isaiah Adds This

"There is no peace," says the Lord, "for the wicked." Isaiah 48:22

Conclusion

Was Job wicked because he had no peace?
And how could that be when God called him "blameless and upright" in Job 1:8?

We see in the first part of Chapter 42 that Job repented of the sin of a presumptuous attitude toward God. God viewed him righteous (as he does us), because of the blood of the Lamb. In Heaven's economy, we are declared righteous because we are clothed in Jesus own righteousness. But that doesn't mean we always have right attitudes or actions. When we are in the grip of a wicked attitude, we are subject to turmoil as Job was. But temporarily falling into sin doesn't change who we are in our relationship to God.

Jesus has given us his peace and a way back into that place of peace when we lose it through a bad attitude or sinful action. We have an invitation to come to him and exchange our heavy burden for his light one and our harsh yoke for his easy one. Because of this submission and change of direction on our part (repentance), we experience rest.

Photo by Melissa Wiese, CC License 2.0

==========

No comments: