The Bible teaches that before time began, God had an eternal purpose and that he declares his purpose through covenant. The Everlasting Covenant is the basis for all other covenants made in earth since time began. See Heb 13:20-21.
THE NATURE OF GOD
The Everlasting Covenant is grounded in the essential nature of God.
- He is eternal. He is above and outside of time. He created time. He therefore inhabits eternity and all he does is eternal. Isa 57:15, Gen 21:33, Deut 33:27, Psa 41:13, 90:2, 93:2
- He is omniscient: that is, he is all knowing. Although he gave man free will, he knew creation would fall and he made provision for redemption. Acts 15:18
- He is omnipotent. He is all-powerful and sovereign over creation and creatures. Dan 7:17
- God is omnipresent. He is everywhere present at all times. Psa 139:7-12
- He is immutable. He is unchanging in his nature, being, character and covenant purposes. Mal 3:6; Heb 13:8
- God is self-existent. He exists in and of Himself and is independent of time, space and all creatures. He gives life to all creatures because he is the life-source. John 1:1-4, 3:16
- God is absolute holiness. Lev 19:2, 11:44,45, 1Pet 1:16
- He is righteous, that is, perfectly just. Psa 119:142, Deut 32:4, Rom 1:17
- God is love. He manifests perfect love, grace, mercy and kindness. 1 John 4:8-16, John 3:16, 14:23, Gal 2:20
- He is faithful. He does what he says he will do. Psa 119:144, Heb 6:12-20, 2 Tim 2:13, 1 Pet 4:19
Because it is not a covenant between God and man, but a covenant between the persons of the eternal Godhead, we can call this covenant, which was made before time began, the Eternal (or Everlasting) Covenant. According to Kevin Conner and Ken Malmin, this covenant defined the role each of the three persons of the triune God would play in regard to creation and redemption:
- The Father orginates all covenants. He makes the promises and gives the words and the terms of the contracts.
- The Son is the sacrifice and the mediator of the covenant. He functions as both offering and offerer: sacrifice and priest.
- The Holy Spirit is the seal, the sign and the token. He executes the covenant and sees that it is carried out in full.